Search This Blog

Monday, January 1, 2024

Story: Baba & midnight sadhana + 2 more

Baba

Story: Baba & midnight sadhana

Namaskar,

In my younger years, during the 1950's, I was initiated by an acarya. At that time I was new to Ananda Marga so I was not aware that when an acarya teaches others then the acarya is not actually teaching you; just they are a medium of Guru Shrii Shrii Anandamurti ji who is doing the teaching.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

Shortly thereafter, I was blessed to have Baba's darshan. On that occasion, Sadguru Baba corrected my sadhana. At that time, I was also graced with the opportunity to make a request, "Baba, my desire is that You should teach me the entire meditation process. You are my Guru and I do not want to learn from any middle-man."

Baba smiled and replied, "What you are thinking that desire will be fulfilled.”

"Baba is calling you - go see Him immediately"

Time passed. Then one day I got a message from GS Dada. I was told, "Baba is calling you - go see Him immediately." I made the journey from my village near Muzaffarpur and reached Jamalpur as quickly as possible.

When I was outside waiting to enter to see Baba I had mixed feelings. On the one side I was happy to have the darshan of my Guru Shrii Shrii Anandamurtiji and have His blessing. But also I was concerned about if I had made any mistakes. I was not sure why Baba had called me. I had no clue. So I was in a quandary. I could not remember having done anything wrong - but if so, certainly Baba was going to scold me for it. So I have this fear. But the overall feeling was one of joy. I was thinking that whatever Baba does will be for my welfare - for my progress. All this was going through my mind while I was waiting to see Baba.

Soon I was called inside to see Baba. Upon entering all my fear disappeared immediately; I forgot all about it with the overflowing bliss of His close proximity. By His grace with full surrender I did sastaunga pranam.


Baba never forgets His promise


Then Baba asked about my family and how things were going with the unit.  He then said that He was going on fieldwalk and I should accompany Him. So per His schedule, Baba went for fieldwalk - and I followed Him - and He told many things along the way. In due course we reached to the Tiger's Grave. It was a dark, lonely night. Nobody was around for miles and miles and there was no hint of light in any direction. It was pitch black outside. Now and then, the idea came in my mind,  “Why had Baba called me from Muzafarrpur.” Mentally, I was thinking, “Baba, why did You call me from Muzafarrpur - You are not saying anything about this.” These thoughts were swirling in my mind.

Baba turned towards me and said, "Sometime back you expressed the desire to learn sadhana directly from Me. Such was your request and that is why I have called you here today."

Immediately, that memory flashed in my mind. I recalled my words to Baba. I had completely forgotten about my request that He should sit face-to-face with me and personally guide me in sadhana. Although I had forgotten, Baba had graciously remembered. Later on I realized that human beings forget, but the all-knowing Parama Purusa Baba never forgets His promise. I forgot my own desire but Baba remembered, called me, and reminded me.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

Baba then taught me the entire process of kapalika sadhana. When He finished, per His direction, I repeated the instructions back to Him and He gave His approval. Baba then instructed me, "Initially, you must do kapalika sadhana for 30 days in a row; thereafter, you must do it for one of the 3 days of amavasya each month - that will be sufficient." I felt truly blessed to receive my sadhana instructions directly from Him.


Scolding: "When you go to that banyan tree"

Baba also guided exactly how to go to the cemetery in my village near Muzaffarpur. Baba told me which path I should take from my house during the night, as well as which left turn and right turn I should make. He told me everything meticulously.  It was quite intriguing for me to see how He knows all these minute details. Because  Baba had never visited there, and He was telling me all those details. Actually, at that time I did not have the realisation that Baba is Parama Purusa. Just I was thinking that Baba is some great guru - that’s all. It was my ignorance those days. So I was surprised to see that He knew this.

Next, Baba began to explain where I would sit for sadhana. Baba told, "In the cemetery near your village, there is a banyan tree. Near the banyan tree, some feet away, there is a mango tree; and then, after another short distance, there is a wood apple tree."

Although it was my village cemetery I was not aware about those two other trees. Mentally, I thought, "Baba, there is indeed a banyan tree, but I do not recall there being a mango or a wood apple tree in that area." Just I was thinking in this way - i.e. expressing doubt.

Baba looked towards me and expressed His feigned anger and started scolding me: "When you go to that banyan tree, after exactly 49 feet to the northeast you will see the other two trees. Nearby you will sit and do your kapalika sadhana." Mentally I thought, "When I reach Muzaffarpur I will see how far this is correct."


No courage to go alone


While still in His divine presence, I began thinking about going to the cemetery alone in that pitch-dark, midnight hour - devoid of any reflected or refracted light. I would be away from human habitation, with the apparatus, and sitting there by myself. It would be a difficult, dangerous, proposition. Ghosts might even come. I was raised in a very dogmatic environment and all kinds of fear was imposed upon me during my childhood. In earnest, I was a coward. So going alone to the cemetery on a dark night was unthinkable for me. I was afraid that a ghost would be there hovering around and it would attack me. That dogma of ghosts was a gift of my dogmatic upbringing. But by His grace, later on, it became clear to me that ghosts do not exist. But, in that moment, I was struck by fear and thought some problem could come. In that case, what would I do? I was thinking it would be very good if Baba could also be there.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

The mere thought of going to the cemetery alone on a pitch dark night was terrorising for me. So with reverence in a very polite manner I requested Him, "Baba, generally the Guru goes along to the cemetery to protect the disciple if danger comes."

Baba replied, "Those ordinary gurus do so - but for Me there is no need."

Filled with the terror of going all by myself to the Muzaffarpur cemetery, I made a direct appeal, "Baba, what is the need for me to go to Muzaffarpur. You are here, and I can stay here. Then You could always come along with me for night sadhana to protect me from any ghosts or evil spirits. Plus You could directly revise my sadhana lessons as needed. What You taught is very involved and complex, if I forget certain steps You could guide me."

Baba replied, "No, go to your village and do your sadhana there. And always remember that regardless of the time of day, all the 24hrs, I am always with You and whenever there is a need, you will be able to open your eyes and see Me with your eyes open."

After hearing this from Baba, my fear did not dissipate completely. I could not gather the courage to go alone.


I express my doubts to Baba


I politely requested Him, "Baba, You have graciously taught kapalika sadhana to so many people who live in so many different places like Kolkata, Mumbai, throughout Delhi sector and indeed around the globe. If all these people have a problem at the same time in different cemeteries - all over the globe - then how will it be possible for You to be in all those placed at the same time to help and intervene? You will be forced to attend to one particular sadhaka and leave the others to fend for themselves. How is it possible for You to go everywhere and help everyone at the same time, in disparate places, when they are in crisis."
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

Baba told me in a firm voice, "I can go wherever there is a need - all at the same time."

I did not reply, but I was thinking that, "Often, people say like this just for the sake of saying it. But I cannot believe this. I can't believe it. I cannot fathom how He will be in all places at the same time."

Baba paused, "When you see Me there then You are going to believe."

Baba started scolding me, "You do not believe what I am saying. You will see Me there - You can test this. But there is one condition: You must always start your cemetery sadhana without fail by exactly midnight. Then you will be able to see Me with your own eyes."


Midnight cemetery night sadhana

I went back to my village. The first thing I wanted to do was confirm where to sit and see the 3 trees which Baba was talking about. In broad daylight I went to the cemetery. Lo and behold, I saw that those 3 trees were exactly as Baba described. Mentally I begged for an apology from Baba.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

I felt ready to begin my night sadhana routine. That night itself I thought to start going in the night for my kapalika sadhana. I thought I should do night sadhana and follow Baba's system and ultimately verify what Baba said, i.e. that He saves His sadhakas if there is any problem or danger during night sadhana.

After my long walk, I reached the cemetery at the proper time so I could start my sadhana 15min before midnight. I was determined that there should not be any delay at all, not ever. And in that way, everyday I was doing midnight sadhana in the cemetery according to His guideline: I took the designated path, reached the place at the correct time, and sat for sadhana according to His instruction. I was doing this every day. Fifteen days passed in this way.


A strange voice says to me…


Then one day as I approached the cemetery, I heard a very clear voice in my ear: "Where are you going - why are you doing sadhana - there is no need to do this - what do you want - I can grant it - whatever you want I can grant it - do not waste your time in sadhana - you are quite young - go and enjoy the world - why waste your time in sadhana."

I looked all around but could not see anything or anyone around me; yet this voice was very clear. Since it was such an unusual phenomenon I was listening very carefully. This was a new experience in my life, and I was quite intrigued. I continued to listen. Then I thought that it was getting late, and I should get to my spot in the cemetery for sadhana.

In this way I got caught up and delayed. I had no idea that this was a ploy of avidya maya to disturb my sadhana. The whole episode lasted about 10 - 15 minutes.


Midnight in cemetery:
Baba was smiling at me


When I reached my place in the cemetery, I saw that Baba was standing there - facing me and smiling. As I approached Him to do sastaunga pranam, He moved 25 feet further away. It was extremely dark but His face and entire body were very clear. There was a bright light around Him; I could see His smile. Beyond His figure, the area was enveloped in utter darkness.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

I saw Him and thought to go close. I approached Him again to do sastaunga pranam, but no matter how hard I tried I could not get closer than 25 feet. I started walking towards Him but the distance was not decreasing. I could not catch Him. When I began calling Him, He did not respond - He would only smile. I was running to catch Him, but I could not get closer than 25 feet. I could not get Him. In this way the time passed. I became tired.

After chasing Baba for approximately 20 minutes, Baba again scolded me and said: "Go and complete your sadhana." At that point, I had no option but to follow His order. When I turned to go to my spot for sadhana, Baba went away. I sat for my sadhana and when I was done I returned to my house but could not sleep because of what had transpired. I was happy to see Baba but sad that He did not allow me to do sastaunga pranam or feed Him. I was also not happy that He did not stay.


One invisible entity talking in my ear


In the morning, I left my house and traveled to Jamalpur. I felt that I must complain to Baba about the events of last night. I reached Jamalpur and was called in to see Baba. Upon entering the room, I immediately did sastaunga pranam, but did not get the opportunity to tell Him anything; rather He started scolding me: "Why were you late for sadhana last night. I did My inspection to see if you started on time, and you were not there."

Baba continued, "You failed to do your duty, and now you must start over from the very beginning and do night sadhana for another 30 days in a row starting from tonight." That was my punishment for being late. Then Baba was quiet. He was graciously giving me the opportunity to speak.

I began, "Certainly I committed a mistake last night in the cemetery. Then I saw You and wanted to do sastaunga pranam but I could not get close enough to You. I wanted to take You to my home and called You, but You just smiled and did not reply. Again I tried to go close to You, and again You went further away. This went on for 20 minutes. And then in the end You did not stay. I do not understand."

"The reason I was late for my night sadhana was because when I entered the cemetery I was disturbed by some negative talk. I got caught up in listening to one invisible entity who was talking in my ear. He was discouraging me from doing sadhana, and I became 5 minutes late."
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

Baba replied, "That was just Karn'a Pisha'cii. He can't harm you or do anything bad to you. He is just full of tall talks. He has one very small type of occult power or siddhi - a very ordinary siddhi. If in the future Karn'a Pischa'cii creates any type of nuisance for you, then tell him, "I want Parama Purusa - bring Him here"."

Hearing Baba's words, I understood that on the path of sadhana, we are confronted by so many obstacles. Yet we have to fight back and overcome such hurdles. I failed this time but vowed that next time I would succeed, by His grace.


Conclusion


Since then my mind changed and I realized that my Guru is not ordinary; rather, He is indeed Parama Purusa. He always remains with me. Whether I see Him or not, He is there. And when the need arises He will show Himself, otherwise He will remain invisible, watching me.

For those who cannot perceive Him, they may think that Baba is no more or that He went to a different planet or star. But for me, there is no change from those days before 1990 and now. In the very same way, my Baba is with me, showering His grace and smiling.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

Namaskar,
Manoranjan

The above story was told by Ac Vaedyanath Jha - a family acarya from Muzaffarpur who was initiated in the 1950's. The above is his direct narration. I am merely posting it "as is" for your review - I did not add or change anything.

Baba's feigned anger

[1] Feigned Anger: As we know, Baba never really gets angry, rather He feigns anger in order to teach others.  However, sometimes, due to their ignorance, Dadas write that "Baba became angry" in their books and essays etc, but such writers should correct themselves and be careful about making such a mistake. 

Plagiary?

It is the accepted international standard and Baba's system not to copy another's work and publish it in your own way. Baba has given a very strict rule on plagiarism. Why is Baba against plagiarism or stealing someone's work? There are many reasons:

1) It is against the code of asteya (non-stealing).

2) Countless stories of bhaktas need to be published. But some do not want to do the hard work of compiling and writing these stories, so they just steal them from others. But new stories need to be told, otherwise so many unpublished stories of sadhakas will be lost and forgotten forever. So watch out for story thieves, and kindly help them not to steal by posting on social media in their own way. If you want to forward this story then attach the following yellow section with the story: 

“Courtesy of unknown bhakta via Ananda Marga Universal (https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/)”

This will be treated as the standard protocol.


== Section 2: Prabhat Samgiita ==

Your full glory cannot be expressed

PS Intro: This below Prabhat Samgiita highlights the divine glory and greatness of Parama Purusa.

"Tumi, kotháy chile kotháy, tháko keu tá jáne ná..." (Prabhat Samgiita #0540)

Purport:
 
O’ Parama Purus'a, where were You - where You live, nobody knows. I have been searching all over and looking everywhere for You. You are the smallest of the small and the most vast of the vast. I have not been able to find You anywhere. Baba, those who want You, ultimately You make them Yours and merge them into Your Divine Self. Infinite Entity, You are boundless and cannot be held. Parama Purus'a, where do You reside - nobody knows.

O’ Parama Purus'a Baba, the Greatest One, in this entire universe, no single manifestation can express Your full beauty. The moon's smile, the ocean breeze, the smiling flower, the sweet charming sky, all these beautiful expressions were created by You. You have filled this world with Your diverse presentations, yet they are not Your True Self, nor Your full Personality. They cannot embody Your full sweetness. All these presentations are mere small reflections of Your infinite charm. Baba, Ananta, You are limitless. Your full glory cannot be expressed in words, shapes, or forms. 

O’ Parama Purusa, You are so merciful. In my ideation and in my meditation, my every atom and molecule are dancing in Your flow. It is Your krpa’. You do everything for me. Baba, You have been playing the spiritual flute since time immemorial, and You will continue up to eternity. By this way, You have been attracting and drawing me closer to You. Your grand refulgence is boundless and unfathomable.

Parama Purus'a, where have You been, where do You reside - nobody knows. Baba, bless me, please have a karun’a’ on me...


Notes for Prabhat Samgiita #0540:

[1] This above Prabhat Samgiita expresses how Parama Purusa is more vast than the vast and smaller than the small. Because of this one cannot find Him with their mundane senses. And that is what is explained in this below teaching as well. 

Ananda Marga ideology states, "On the one hand Parama Purus'a is very vast; on the other hand He is very small. He is so vast that you cannot fully see Him. In Sam'skrta, there are a few words to describe something very vast: visha'la, vira't'a, brhat, etc. Out of these, the words vira't'a and brhat are used to describe an entity which is immeasurably vast, and visha'la is used for an entity which may be vast, but can be measured. For instance, the Himalayan mountains are very vast in size, but still they can be measured in terms of miles, from south to north and from east to west. In the scriptures it has been said.

Brhacca taddivyam acintyaru'pam'...

Ananda Marga ideology states, "Parama Purus'a is extremely vast: then how can you see such a vast Entity with your dim vision? It is impossible. And besides seeing such a divine effulgence, your eyes will be blinded; your vision will be completely lost."

Su'ks'macca tat su'ksmataram' vibhati

Ananda Marga ideology states, "Parama Purus'a is not only vast. He is small as well – so small, so subtle that you cannot see Him with your physical eyes. Human ocular power is extremely limited: if an object is very vast it cannot be seen, and if it is very small and subtle it cannot be seen either." (1)


[2] These below quotes state that one cannot go close to Him and still remain separate. When one gets closer and closer, then by His grace, the bhakta will merge in Him - just like a piece of salt gets merged in the ocean, it can no longer remain a separate grain of salt.

Ananda Marga ideology states, "If a salt doll goes to fathom the sea, it will certainly melt and become the sea itself. Similarly, if the knower of the Supreme Consciousness goes to fathom the Supreme, he merges in the sea of Consciousness and becomes Supreme himself. Be constantly absorbed in the thought of the Supreme Consciousness and you too will become Supreme." (2)

Ananda Marga ideology states, "If a salt doll goes to measure the sea, it will melt into it. Neither can it measure the sea, nor will it ever return, its existence will merge into the vastness of the sea, releasing it from all cares and worries. If one wishes to take the form of the sea, one will have to become the sea itself; there is no other way. None of His qualities has any limit. His fragmentary manifestations are all passing through unlimited forms, due to His ceaseless imaginative flow: none of them is an end in itself." (3)

Ananda Marga philosophy states, "The spiritual aspirant hears the various sounds of onm'ka'ra or pran'ava [like the sound of the flute] at various stages, during deep sa'dhana', during sweet sa'dhana'. The sound is called Krs'n'a’s muraliidhvani. The sa'dhaka becomes mad because of this sound and goes deeper and attains Ra'dha' bha'va more and more, and rushes headlong forward." (4)


References
1. Subhasita Samgraha - 12, The Secret of Dharma Lies Hidden in the Mind
2. Subhasita Samgraha - 2, The Intuitional Science of the Vedas – 3
3. Subhasita Samgraha - 3, Vibration, Form and Colour
4. Discourses of Krsna & the Giita, Krśńa Unparalleled

SUBJECTS TOPICS