Search This Blog

Monday, March 13, 2023

Sadguru & father + 3 more

Baba
Sadguru & father

Namaskar,

In the 1950's, I went to see Baba in Jamalpur for personal contact (PC). Due to my dogmatic, Hindu, religious upbringing, I thought that since I was going to meet my Guru, then I should not wear shoes as that would be disrespectful.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

So I left my shoes at my home in Muzaffarpur, in order to show my reverence for Guru, and boarded the train for Jamalpur. I was barefoot the entire journey, which was several hours from my family home to Jamalpur, and all the way from the station to the jagrti. In the course of my travels, I stepped on so many pebbles and stones, and I walked through so much garbage and waste material on the streets. By the end, my feet were cut, scraped, soiled, and sore. Looking back now I can say it was a type of tapasya, or penance. But at the time, I did not think anything of it. Rather it seemed perfectly normal. I was only focused on one thing: I am going to meet my Guru. This was the sole thought in my mind.

Once I arrived, I was very eager to see Baba. I washed my feet and anxiously waited to get called for PC. No one seemed to notice that I was not wearing shoes. Actually, since my arrival in Jamalpur, not even one person remarked that I did not have shoes; nor was I thinking that it was anything unusual. Of course, when inside the ashram or when going into Baba's room, then every sadhaka would remove their shoes. But for moving around town and in between buildings, all were wearing shoes - except me.
 
But at the time, none of this was in my mind. Only I was ideating on Baba and thinking about what everyone had told me. They said that, "Baba knows everything, and He will bring up past misdeeds from your life which nobody knows except you, and scold you." So I was thinking again and again about what margiis had been telling me.

Most certainly I was feeling very inspired to see Him, but I also had some trepidation as well because everyone was warning me that Baba would point out my past mistakes and sins - all the way back to my childhood - and rebuke me. As I contemplated this, the time passed.

My personal contact with Baba


Soon I was called and entered Baba's room for PC. Immediately I did sastaunga pranam and lay prostrate before Him. When I completed my salutation and looked at Baba, He asked, "What is your name."
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

"Vaedyanath", I replied.

Then Baba inquired, "Where are your shoes?"

I was completely awestruck by Baba's question. I had not discussed this with anyone nor was this in my mind when I entered. Not only that, everyone enters His room barefoot - without shoes. So then how could Baba have known that I had not worn shoes on my journey to Jamalpur.

I replied, "Out of reverence, I did not bring them. I left them at my house in Muzaffarpur."

Then Baba sweetly replied in my mother tongue of Maethili: "In the future when you come to see Me, then you must wear your shoes."

By His grace, I understood Baba's kind message that while taking the train and walking in town on my way to see Him, then I should wear my shoes. And when coming in His room for PC then I would enter in the same manner as every other sadhaka, i.e. without shoes.

"Yes, Baba", I responded.

Baba continued, "When you go to your house to see your parents, then do you follow all kinds of rules and regulations or do you just go and see them?"

I said, "I just go see them, Baba. When arriving at my parent’s house I do not concern myself with the various formalities, customs, or codes”

Baba said, "Yes, even if your clothes are dirty you will go visit them - you will not wait outside."

Baba continued, "Similarly when you come here to see Me, just come in your regular attire, wearing your shoes."

"Yes, Baba."


My secret which nobody knew, Baba knew

Thereafter, Baba began to explain so many other deeply personal aspects about my life, which no one else knew. In a very sweet and loving way, Baba spoke as if He was watching me all along. All I could think was how Baba knows everything, and that He loves me very much. He recounted so many events of my life that no one else knew except me. Internally, I felt and understood that He is with me always - whether I am sleeping or awake, always He is along with me and knows what I am thinking and how I am feeling.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

My entire PC with Sadguru Baba passed in a very blissful way. That day Baba told that, "You and I are very close - we have a very personal and intimate relation."

By His grace I also could feel in my heart how my connection with Him was very close, just like a family relation. That was the main feeling in my mind after PC: That Baba loves me very much and we have a personal relationship. This sweet and internal feeling was percolating in every cell of my being, by His grace. I felt completely blissful and light.


Conclusion

The most important point is that in our Ananda Marga the relation between God and the sadhaka is a personal relation just like that of unit family members. Whereas in the general society, followers have a very formal and distant relation with their guru. The relation with Sadguru Baba is not an official or formal relation, but a familial relation. That is why Baba told that, when coming to see Me there is no need for formal attire - just like when you see your laokik parents etc. In the same light, Baba also told others not to call Him Babaji but just Baba. Because just as one does not address their mother as madam, similarly with one’s Ista or Guru one must have a family relation. That is the lesson I got that day. And I followed it accordingly.

Namaskar,
In His service,
Ac. Vaedyanath

In PC Baba used to use...

Many times we have seen that in PC Baba often spoke in the mother tongue of the sadhaka. This created a more intimate and congenial setting. This was especially done with sadhakas from some part of northern India.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

Taraka Brahma is Personal God of sadhakas


Ananda Marga teachings guides us, “Human dharma is one, and that is Bhágavata dharma. And iśt́a means the personal God with whom all unit beings can establish a relation of love and affection, to whom they can reveal their pains and pleasures, and surrender themselves and take the safest shelter in Him. That Parama Puruśa, that personal God is not the God of philosophy. Human beings cannot establish a very close relationship with something theoretical. If one closely follows Bhágavata dharma, the final result will be the realization of the Supreme, becoming one with one’s iśt́a. Some time ago I said yato dharma tato iśt́ah Yato ista tato jayah.” (1)

Sadguru Baba says, “What is really important is to meditate on the personal God and move towards Him. And this personal God is the Singular Entity, the Táraka Brahma. Táraka Brahma literally means a special manifestation of Parama Puruśa which ensures emancipation to the microcosms. The word Táraka means “liberator”, one who shows the correct way, one who loves as well as punishes, on who makes the microcosms His own. In this sense, Táraka Brahma is not only the liberator, the object of adoration, but also the loving Father. He is the eternal companion of unit beings in their joys and sorrows – not a God in the distant sky but an understanding Lord in the house where they dwell.” (2)

Parama Puruśa is not the God of philosophy

Here following Baba reminds us that we have a close, family relationship with Him.

Ananda Marga ideology says, "He is the Supreme Father. You have a family relation with that Supreme Entity, and not a relationship of external formality. He is yours, and you should also remember that nothing is external for Him. Everything is within, nothing is without. So you have been created by Him and you are in Him, and, because He is your supreme goal, finally you will be with Him, you will be one with Him. For this you require no special education, no knowledge of philosophy, and no other external attributions. Supreme love for the Supreme Universal Entity will make you one with Him." (3)

Taraka Brahma is the Eternal Companion in joys & sorrows


Here are more teachings from our Ananda Marga scriptures.

Ananda Marga ideology guides us, "The Entity whom you are trying to attain – Parama Puruśa – is your own innermost self. Your relation with Him is not external, to be defined by courts, laws, or society. It is a family relationship. The desire in your mind to meet God is only born when He is inclined towards you. It is the result of His desire to meet you. Your meeting with God is not a unilateral affair, it is a mutual thing. You walk one step towards Him and He will come twenty towards you. When an infant starts walking, the parent first asks it and goads it to walk a little. It tries to walk, but falls. Then the parent advances and lifts it up onto his or her lap. God does the same. Make the slightest effort, and He will pick you up and place you on His lap. Your relation with God is personal. No one can sever this relationship. It is part of your being, your birthright." (4)

Ananda Marga ideology states, "The subtlest of this universe from which all waves, all expressions, emanate, is my Supreme Goal. And that Supreme Goal, that subtlest object, that perennial source of all inferences, is my goal, is my Parama Puruśa, is my Supreme Father. So a spiritual aspirant must always remember that his goal is not something physical or something psychic. His only goal is the hub of this universe, is the nucleus of this Cosmological order, is that Parama Puruśa, the Supreme Father." (5)

Ac Vaedyanath Jha of Muzaffarpur was a family acarya initiated in the 1950's.
https://anandamargauniversal.blogspot.com/

References
1. Subhasita Samgraha - 12, Ádarsha and Iśt́a
2. Subhasita Samgraha - 11, A Devotee's Object of Ideation
3. Subhasita Samgraha-21, Human Life and Its Goal
4. Ananda Vacanamrtam - 23, Your Personal Relationship with God
5. Ananda Vacanamrtam - 34, He Thinks and We Perceive


== Section: Important Teaching ==

Measuring scale of bhakti

Ananda Marga ideology states, “Parama Puruśa looks deep into the inner thoughts and feelings of human beings. He is omniscient, forever watching throughout the creation those who are meditating upon Him with undivided attention, and those who have been patiently waiting with an unwavering mind to realize Him. These are expressions of those with an integral outlook. Only such people, irrespective of caste, colour, creed, community, national or geographical barrier, etc. can look upon each and every human being as their own kith and kin. They are free of all discrimination. They even treat the animals and plants as being intimately related to themselves.” (1)

Parama Puruśa looks deep into the inner thoughts and feelings of human beings. He is omniscient, forever watching throughout the creation those who are meditating upon Him with undivided attention, and those who have been patiently waiting with an unwavering mind to realize Him. These are expressions of those with an integral outlook. Only such people, irrespective of caste, colour, creed, community, national or geographical barrier, etc. can look upon each and every human being as their own kith and kin. They are free of all discrimination. They even treat the animals and plants as being intimately related to themselves.

Note: In His original Hindi discourse of this above teaching, it is explained how Parama Purusa only evaluates a person based on their degree of bhakti. That is the chief criteria for judging a sadhaka.

Reference
1. Ananda Marga Philosophy - 5, Integral and Non-Integral Outlook


== Section: Important Teaching ==


Not hurting other’s religious sentiment

Ananda Marga philosophy states says, "You should be careful not to hurt the religious sentiments of others, even if in the future most people become A'nanda Ma'rgiis. Deities should be preserved in museums, and temples should be restored to maintain the cultural and historical heritage of the country." (1)
Note: With the coming rise of our Ananda Marga way of life we should not suppress or eliminate the various legacies and traditions of any people or community etc. All should be honoured and respected and taught the ways of neo-humanism.
Reference
1. Prout in a Nutshell - 16, Three Cardinal Socio-Political Principles


== Section: Important Teaching ==


Buffaloes pull entire cart into the water

Ananda Marga philosophy states, “It is worth pointing out that the buffalo came under mans control a few thousand years after the cow was domesticated. The pure bison variety of buffalo is resistant to domestication, but the water buffalo, because of its lack of speed, has accepted man’s dominion for the sake of self-preservation. Since fondness for water is inherent in this variety of bison, their original instinctive tendencies awaken if they see water nearby. In the burning heat of summer, cart-pulling buffalo also will forget their sense of responsibility and take a dip, cart and all, if they see a pond – such happenings are not rare.” (1)
Reference
1. Shabda Cayanika, part 3, Disc: 15


== Section ==


কমিউনিস্ট দর্শন ভ্রান্তি পূর্ণ

“কোনও দুজন কি হুৰহু এক রঙা ?

[মার্গী---"না |"]

দুজন পাশাপাশি এক রাঙা নয় | আৰার এক জনেরও সর্বাঙ্গ এক রঙা নয় | তাকিয়ে দেখো না |

[মার্গীরা---”হ্যাঁ, ৰাৰা |”]

কি অদ্ভুত ! কি, মানুষের হাতের প্রতিটি আঙ্গুল যে সত্য, ও সমান নয় | এ কথাটাও যত সত্য, তেমনি কোনও দুটো entity, কোনও দুটো মানে even iota of two existences are not the same, not the equal | Here in the expressed world, diversity is the law of nature | Here, diversity is the law of nature |

তাই যারা ৰলে “সৰকে equal করে দৰ”, তারাও ভুল ৰলে | তাদের, ৰুদ্ধিমান মানুষ ৰলৰে---Let them live with their diversities and let me serve everybody according to their requirement, according to the requirement of each and every entity | And that’s the proper ideal, that’s the proper philosophy | “[1]

Reference
1. 
অপ্রকাশিত, ১৯৮৯ দিঘা 

== Section ==

पशुओं की तरह केवल खाने पीने और सोने में जीवन नष्ट मत करो,
अब ज़िन्दगी का जो कुछ थोड़ा सा समय बचा है उसे सत्कर्मों में लगाओ 


प्रभात संगीत 2182: केनो बोसे आछो ,काज कि सेरेछो....

भावार्थ

हे साधक ! तुम आलस्य में बैठे अपना समय नष्ट क्यों कर रहे हो? तुम ने कौन सा काम पूरा कर लिया है? क्या तुम मुझे अपने किये गये कार्यों का विवरण दोगे? उन कामों का क्या हुआ, बताओ तुमने क्या पाया और क्या खोया? इन सबके “आय और व्यय” का हिसाब मुझे दिखाओ? तुमने कितनी भक्ति अर्जित की और कितने संस्कारों को क्षय किया और कितने शेष रह गये हैं, बताओ? मुझे स्पष्ट लेखा बताओ कि इसमें कुछ धनात्मक भी है या ऋणात्मक?

हे साधक !  तुम्हारे जीवन का उषाकाल चला गया है और सूर्यास्त आ पहुंचा है। तुम लंबी अवधि से इस धरती पर हो और अनेक अवसर पा चुके हो, असंख्य श्वास और प्रश्वाश  पा चुके हो, और तुम्हें हर साॅंस में भागवद् धर्म का अभ्यास करने का अवसर दिया गया था। और अब, सघन काली रात्रि आने वाली है। इस घड़ी में तुम हिसाब दो कि अपने जीवन के उषाकाल से आज तक तुमने अपना समय किस प्रकार व्यतीत किया?

हे साधक ! जीवन के उषाकाल में तुमने अपना समय बच्चों के खेल में नाश  किया, इसके बाद का समय ज्ञानार्जन में नष्ट किया, फिर रोजी रोटी के चक्कर में उलझे रहे, इस प्रकार तुम्हारा पूरा जीवन कोई परमार्थ किये विना ही चला गया। और अब इस बुढ़ापे में तारे गिन गिन कर अपना समय नष्ट कर रहे हो। अब तुम बताओ तुम्हारा मन क्या करना चाहता है ? अभी तक तो तुमने अपना पूरा जीवन व्यर्थ ही नष्ट किया है।

मानव जीवन अमूल्य है, इसलिये पशुओं की तरह केवल खाने पीने और सोने में जीवन नष्ट कर देना बिलकुल भी उचित नहीं है। इसलिये, ओ मेरे शिष्य ! अब जो कुछ थोड़ा सा भी समय बचा है उसे सत्कर्मों में लगाकर सदुपयोग करो।

Note: If you would like the audio file of the above Prabhat Samgiita kindly write us.
 


SUBJECTS TOPICS